Wednesday, June 3, 2009

June 2009: Weird Rain in Nevada?

I wrote a post on the Outdoor Living blog about the good and the bad sides of the unusual rain we have been receiving this week in general Northern Nevada area.

Since this seems like a really unusual weather pattern for the Reno area, I thought I'd see if anyone was was wondering about this too.

Found interesting info explaining how pollution is changing our rain patterns

Sacramento - As he flew high above the snowy Sierra Nevada this spring, atmospheric scientist Veerabhadran Ramanathan saw confirmation of what he'd both hoped and feared to see: Big, dark storm clouds that weren't producing any rain.

    Air pollution appears to be altering rainfall patterns in the Sierra and around the world, said Ramanathan of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography in La Jolla.

Don Thompson @ The Associated Press goes on to report how rain proceseses actually change when carbon build up changes the structure and purpose of a cloud.

But I'm not finding much commentary on this current rainfall pattern.  Maybe I need to work on my choice of keywords, don't know. I do know this is frustrating. I just want to find one expert that might hazard sharing information on if this is an actual result of global warming or we're just lucky.


No comments:

Post a Comment