Friday, April 3, 2009

Washoe State Tree Nursery




Good day, good news!

I have received my list in the mail for the plants offered for sale at the Washoe County Nursery. Time to plan. Time to research. This makes me a happy girl!

I have to admit, this isn't a program for everyone. You must have a minimum 1 acre property and have an evironmental purpose for planting.

From the Nursery site:

Qualifications for the purchase of plants The program is not intended to provide landscaping materials for small home lots. The purpose of the program is to provide locally adapted, affordable trees and shrubs to conserve and enhance Nevada's natural resources through conservation plantings such as:

  • Erosion control
  • Post-fire rehabilitation
  • Wildlife habitat
  • Greenbelts
  • Reforestation
  • Windbreaks
  • Water Conservation
  • Mine reclamation
  • Wetland and riparian restoration
  • Woodlots

    My needs definitely run to erosion control, wildlife habitat (birds) and water conservation. I have bought honey locust saplings that are growing great. The biggest advantage for me is the nursery provides Caragana (most people call it Russian Olive). This is a pretty plant that grows strong with no attention, extremely little water and is extraordinarily soil tolerant. I will research other options for erosion control at the top of the swale [insert link] at the top of my swale, but my final decision will be made after talking to the folks at the nursery. I have had wonderful experiences learning from the staff and they never fail to help me make better decisions about my plantings!

No comments:

Post a Comment