Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Kids Go Green

To end Earth Day, I must say my kids finally get it. I mean UNDERSTAND! Hellelujah!!!

I have to give some show on Nickalodeon credit. They say something like, turn off the lights for 98 seconds and we'll save the planet. I'm writing and the kids run around the house like short lunatics to turn off lights and realize the only light on is the turtle's. They're bummed.

But it opened a door for them to understand why we are always fussing to turn off the lights, don't waste, hang the towels after showering, refill a water bottle, etc. etc. Yes, we are parents and it is our job to ride you obnoxiously, but we know what we're doing! And bless them, the light went on in their little heads.

We talked about the reasons we do what we do. It saves our family money and helps keep our planet a cleaner place. We don't live in a dirty house and we don't want a dirty planet. I was quizzed about what we've done to be more "Green". They eventually walked away listening to recycling water, changing the light bulbs, benefits of Energy Star appliances, manure in the garden instead of commercial fertilizers, building an arbor versus installing A/C and on and on and on.....

I feel for them. But maybe. Just maybe. I won't have to fuss as much about turning off the lights when they leave a room.

No comments:

Post a Comment