Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Wind Energy is for Everyone



Mariah - Cover girl for Wind Energy

Living in a rural, mountain, WINDY area, I've often considered the benefits of wind energy. Our neighborhood often debates the pros and cons of the properties with wind mills. I never tend to see an eyesore. I do see a lot of questions. Do they have a steady wind to make this feasible? How much stress can that device handle? How much did the investment cost versus energy savings? Oh the questions never end.

I had a neighbor email me recently with information on a wind machine I'd never heard of before. Mariah Power. Maybe it is silly, but I thought it was pretty neat that this machine has a personal name. I look the company up and I'm more happy because they are local, located in Reno. Ok, so far, I'm easy to please. But the more I read, the nuts and bolts become impressive as well. To summarize their site, it is quite, attractive, simple and yet high tech.

I pick up the phone and call, because wrapping my brain around the concept of wind energy is like reading Greek.

The Run Down: $5995 MSRP, $1-2K for installation and since they are local, shipping costs. The unit is 30 feet high with a 4 foot diameter, with everything included (inverter, generator, etc.) and has a 20 year life expectancy. The next step would be to figure my tax credit and NV Power rebates. This looks like a relatively small expense.

I recommend giving them a call. They will patiently answer your questions or direct you to a dealer.

How do I know where to put it, and if it will work for my situation? The gentleman I talked to said I could invest in a good anonometer for about $500. I'm ok with this if I plan to make an energy investment like this. But I've heard about hiring an expert to come to your home and analyze your property. He says that is and option but they will likely to an intensive case study with specialized equipment and the expense can be high. I think it comes down to how complex the microclimate of the property is and your budget. My property isn't extremely large so I would go with the anonometer that I can plug into my computer to translate the data for me.
I'm excited! I can harness wind energy for my personal use at a price I can afford and a system I can manage!

Mariah Power Headquarters
5470 Louie Lane, Suite 104
Reno, Nevada 89511
Tel: (775) 857-4888
Fax: (775) 201-0467

No comments:

Post a Comment